Tuesday, March 8, 2011

catching up

First, Monday's painting.

"The Last Piece"
© 2011 Heather Hingst Bennett
6"x6" oil on canvas panel

Still a little wonky. But better than my first try.

For today I decided to try something I have been thinking about for a while. How to incorporate some mixed media techniques with oils. So, I got out a background I had prepared this summer, masonite board with scrapbook paper pieces glued to it. I applied a few coats of clear gesso to the top of the paper pieces and drew my cake. Then I painted over it with oil paints.


For those of you who don't know, it's generally a no-no to mix acrylic paints and oils paints. It's the way they dry and if you mix them, you might get some cracking.

It was really a lot of fun. It was fun to just play a bit. I get way to serious painting still lifes. Which reminds me...I'm going to taking a class in May with Robert Burridge. I really can't wait! He's all about having fun and painting freely...I'm pretty anal when I paint. So, I think this will be really good for me. Plus it's in acrylics. A medium I'm really having a hard time mastering.

The problem with acrylics...they dry so fast! I mean super fast. Before I can blend them. I do have a little something up my sleeve I'm going to try with acrylics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment