Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Theory

Do you know what I've been missing in my life? THEORY! Yes, there are some guidelines to painting and drawing and you should get to know them.

Today I was working through one of my lessons in THE OIL PAINTING COURSE YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED and found that taking the time to do some exercises in the "illusion of three dimensions" very helpful.

For example I learned that when drawing a sphere there is a cast shadow, general light, highlight, reflected light, halftone, core shadow and lost edges. WOW! All these elements are identified and when placed in the correct areas give the "illusion of three dimensions".

Now I have a general idea of what to look for to give my work more dimension.

Tomorrow I'm going to be working with mixing paint. AND I'm gearing up to paint some pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment